Reactions to NXT TakeOver: WarGames and final thoughts before Survivor Series.
Alright ladies and gents we are doing a last minute post right before Survivor Series so let’s get to it!
1) Last night was NXT Takeover: War Games. What are your thoughts on the event?
Corey: It was absolutely incredible. The NXT TakeOver events deliver time and time again, and War Games was no exception. Every single match delivered and I was excited with every match that was on the card.
Josh: I like to grade these things on a scale of how many times it caused me to stand up from my couch. I counted at least eight so I’m going to say it was a really good event.
2) What was your favorite match?
Corey: I’ll start this by saying that there was not a single bad match on the card. Every match was great and I enjoyed all of them. But the main event War Games match delivered a thousand times over. Dusty would be proud of what those men did.
Josh: Absolutely the match pitting Aleister Black vs Velveteen Dream. I mentioned a few times that I thought this match had the best build leading up to the event and the match itself was stellar. There was so much nuance in the story they were telling. When you can get audible reactions out of crowd without making contact with your opponent you know the entire crowd is eating out of the palm of your hand.
3) What was the biggest surprise for you?
Corey: 100% the NXT championship title change caught me off guard in a great way! I just KNEW Drew McIntyre was going to hold on to it for a little longer, but I have a feeling he’ll have his rematch at the TakeOver event in January and then will move on to the main roster not long afterwards. But congratulations to Almas!
Josh: Really surprised they put the women’s championship on Ember Moon. Not in a bad way, I just had my bets hedged where we’d either see Kari Sane win, since she was coming off the Mae Young Classic victory, or Nikki Cross, as I’ve felt that move was coming for a long time. Nice moment though for Ember Moon to have the title presented to her by Asuka. Those two had a great rivalry before Asuka’s move to the main roster.
4) Today is Survivor Series. What do you think of the card?
Corey: This card is absolutely stacked! They have done an amazing job of building to this event and the Raw attack on the Smackdown roster only increased the anticipation for this event.
Josh: This is the epitome of throwing ideas at a wall and seeing what sticks. I’m not sure if WWE planned this from the get go or stumbled into this card, but man it looks great on paper! This feels like a big deal and as someone who loves the Survivor Series concept, but has roundly questioned its use since 1995, I like that it feels like there are real stakes attached to each match. There aren’t, but the feeling is there — that’s what’s important.
5) Do you see any swerves tonight?
Corey: I feel like we may get a Carmella cash in tonight. Also, we may finally get that Jason Jordan heel turn that he desperately needs. And thirdly, I think Jinder Mahal will cost AJ Styles the match just so neither show has to have their champion look weak in a clean loss.
Josh: I’ve speculated with Corey on text a few times that I sense a faction being formed. Tonight is a great night to debut something interesting. Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn are basically sidelined (they just got added to the preshow for a match against Breezango) so there could be something good in store for them. That’s the biggest and best swerve I can think of.
– I really hope Asuka is the sole survivor. I want it to come down to Sasha and Asuka vs 3 of Smackdown’s women, and when Banks falls let Asuka have a Dolph Ziggler type come back.
– I literally can’t wait to see The Shield vs New Day. These men could also steal the show if given 20 minutes.
– I’m fascinated to see who will finish the men’s Survivor Series match. My first thought is to have Braun Strowman take the victory, but it sort of makes sense for him to get counted out or disqualified. So if he doesn’t win the thing — who does? There are so many diverging storylines built into this match that I can’t confidently make a prediction which team wins, let alone who stays until the end.