Unexpected pushes are incoming.
Perhaps the biggest change from the superstar shake-up isn’t who ended up where, but who is now in line for a push. Jinder Mahal is the biggest benefactor, but others such as the Colons and Alexa Bliss appear to be taking the next step in their respective career tracks.
1) American Alpha seems to be going through a rough patch right now. They lost the tag team titles to the Usos and this past Tuesday on Smackdown they also lost to the Colons who were pretty much fodder for the past few months. What do you think could get them back on track?
Corey: I like American Alpha but the only thing I would do is add a little more character to them. Ring wise they’re fine. Wouldn’t change a thing. But they could definitely use a little more personality.
Josh: They need to figure out what they want to do with the tag division on Smackdown as a whole. It looks like they’re starting to put an emphasis back on it and I’m not opposed to American Alpha taking a few losses to build up the credibility of these other teams. But they need a long-term plan in place so they know exactly what to do with each team over the next three to four months and give these guys some camera time.
2) Charlotte is now the No. 1 contender for the Smackdown Women’s Championship. Do you think she can defeat Naomi to add another title run to her name?
Corey: I don’t think they are going to pull the trigger on putting the title back on Charlotte just yet. I also think they plan on letting Naomi have at least a two to three month reign before she drops the title to anyone.
Josh: This is forgone conclusion right? Charlotte will win the title from Naomi in underhanded fashion and go on a tear through the Smackdown women’s roster. Looking at the story that’s written it screams Charlotte is the standard bearer and she’ll blaze a trail through every competitor, but make them all into stars in the process. Right up until Asuka arrives on Smackdown.
3) On Raw we saw another short appearance from Elias Samson. What do you make of this?
Corey: It’s a pretty unique way of introducing a wrestler to the audience. Every time he shows up I get more and more curious. I can’t wait to see what WWE does with this.
Josh: I only care if Elias Sampson reverts to his TakeOver gimmick of El Vagabundo.
4) Also on this past Monday Night Raw we saw Braun Strowman and the Big Show do the amazing ring collapse spot. What did you think of it?
Corey: I still remember the first ring collapse back in 2002, but it’s still pretty dope whenever we get to see it. Granted I think the referee actually got hurt if you go back and watch again. I did love that they had Strowman actually standing tall at the end instead of stretchering both men out as usual. Definitely makes Strowman look strong.
Josh: I popped like the little mark I am! It’s just such a cool spot and while nothing will ever top the original ring collapse it’s still really cool. Three times in 15 years if I’ve counted correctly. That’s what you call protecting a spot.
5) Jinder Mahal is now the next No. 1 contender for the World Heavyweight Championship. Was this a surprise?
Corey: Definitely. I just don’t see it. But then again I can understand WWE’s reasoning. With the Great Khali gone they are in need of a wrestler to connect with their wide Indian fan base and Mahal actually fits the mold perfectly. Also I’d just like to say that this was a great match despite how many people were in it.
Josh: Total shock is probably more accurate. I’m a believer in Jinder Mahal’s potential. There’s something there that could be really good. I’m not sure the hotshot push into a feud with Randy Orton over the world title is the best approach, but we’ll find out really soon if he can hang or not. Contrary to my thoughts last week I actually sort of like the inclusion of the Bollywood Boys. Their gimmick is kind of awesome and could play an interesting comedy foil to Jinder’s main event ascension.
– I’m genuinely curious on how long Lesnar’s reign is going to be this time.
– Now that Charlotte is back on Smackdown I hope we can get Charlotte vs Becky Lynch!
– Braun Strowman is the gift that keeps on giving. He has a dumpster match against Kalisto scheduled for Raw this week and it’s going to be perfect.